Buttermilk Scones

Monday, March 04, 2013




Now you might know that I've been photographing food to make a zine for uni and a week today I have to hand this project in. I have finished photographing, the graphic designer has done her work and it's going to be printed. Well this is one of the recipes I used for my zine. I love scones (I say scone as in gone, not scone as in throne!) Scones are one of the things I remember making from an early age with my mama.

This recipe is slightly different to the standard as I use buttermilk as well as milk. Most recipes use one or the other but I used half and half. Mainly because I only had half the amount I needed. But man these tasted good!



Adapted from BBC Goodfood.

Ingredients
450g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
¼ tsp salt
100g cold butter , diced
85g golden caster sugar
150ml buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
150ml milk, you may need less.



Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. 

Put the flour, salt and butter into a bowl and rub together to make breadcrumbs. Add in the sugar.

Warm up the buttermilk, milk and vanilla in a microwave or pan. 

Make a well in the bowl and slowly add the liquid. You may not need it all, you'll need enough so the mixture can be formed into a ball.

Tip onto a floured surface and lightly bring together with your hands a couple of times. Press out gently to about 4cm thick and stamp out rounds with a 6cm or 7cm cutter. Re-shape trimmings, until all the dough is used.

Place the scone rounds onto a lined baking tray. Brush the scones with a little milk and sprinkle on some sugar for a beautiful glaze. 

Bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden.

Serve with clotted cream and jam.

♥ 


1 Reply

1 comment

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.