Not quite mama's cheese straws!

Friday, August 30, 2013




My mum makes the best cheese straws. I honestly don't think you can get better than hers.  She also makes the best roast potatoes in the land. I get all my inspiration and cooking knowledge from my mum but now I'm all moved out it's time I tackled recipes that she used to make. Time to start my own traditions, I know they will never be as good as her's but here's to trying. 

Cheese straws make me feel Christmasy, we used to bake the whole of Christmas eve and we would have to make an extra batch of these so the family (especially my dad) could eat a few before. If you ask my mum she says that her nanny's cheese straws were even better than hers and we've decided that we may have to resort to hiring a medium to get the recipe from her. Ha. 

On Monday, the bank holiday we decided to hold a little tea party. I baked these, truffle cookies and shortcakes (like a scone). Even the Mr baked a cake! It was a fun afternoon, finished off with a game of Cluedo. 

So here's the recipe I used, be warned they are addictive!

Adapted from Nigella

100g self raising flour
pinch of paprika
50g softened butter
160g red Leicester, grated
40g  Parmesan, grated (plus extra for sprinkling)
milk

Preheat the oven to 200º/Gas Mark 6.

Rub the butter into the flour and add the cheeses. The mixture will be dry but if you feel that it's not coming together add a small amount of milk until it's combined.

Roll out onto a lightly floured board. Cut into rectangles or you could use a cookie cutter. Place onto a lined baking tray. Brush the tops of the cheese straws with milk and sprinkle over some Parmesan.  

Bake for 10 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack. These won't stay around for long!

1 Reply

1 comment

  1. I tried to make some this one time and they were terrible! These look so much nicer.

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.